Sunday, April 4, 2010

Celebrate Health!

I've always found it interesting that celebrations (such as birthdays, holidays, etc.) are laden with unhealthy indulgences that leave everyone feeling bloated and regrettful. In fact, it has been at least 7 years since I've had a birthday cake to celebrate my birthday. I recently had an early 1st birthday part for my baby, and I was torn about how to do this in a way that was fun, delicious, and healthy. Here is what I did:

Burrito Bar with ground turkey flavored with cumin and paprika, whole pinto beans I soaked and cooked myself, chopped romain lettuce, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, corn chips, and spelt torillas.

Then I made carrot-cake cupcakes free from anything refined, and I put the frosting on the side for those who wanted it.

CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
2 cups whole grain spelt flour
2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
2 t cinimon
1 t salt
3/4 c Ghee or Canola Oil
3/4 c Maple Syrup (Grade B)
4 eggs, beaten
4 cups grated carrots

Mix dry ingredients, then mix wet ingredients, and then alternate adding the wet ingredients and the carrots into the dry ingredients. Place mixture in your muffin cups, and cook for 15-20 min. I also make a frosting with goat cheese chevre and powdered sugar to taste.

This is a celebration that everyone can feel good about eating and leave feeling satisfied. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I fully intend to bake these cupcakes the next time I am called to do so. I really like the idea of serving the frosting on the side. Thank you. Kathi

    ReplyDelete