Monday, August 15, 2011

Tasty Treat

I've made a version of these fig balls before, and Mylah loved them. However, when I went to make them today, I didn't have any pecans in my freezer or fridge. I decided to improvise with almonds.

Since raw almonds are so dense, I decided to soak them in warm water for about 20 min.


Then I strained them and pulsed them in the food processor.


Then I removed the ground almonds and put about 2 cups of figs (tips off, chopped) in the food processor with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. (I also added some cranberries b/c my fig/almond ratio was off.)



Then I smooshed them together into little balls. These are spectacular, healthy, and WAY better than the store bought alternative!


But as I said earlier, I had an strange ratio of figs to almonds, so I was left with an excess of ground almonds that only had a little bit of fig in them. Hm...what to do? I searched my pantry. Raisins? Cranberries? Honey? Oats? Nope. I settled with dark chocolate chunks.

I placed about 3/4 cup of chocolate chunks in a bowl with a splash of soy milk. Then I put it in the microwave for 20 sec and stirred until the milk was incorporated well.


Then I poured my almonds into my chocolate, added a dash of salt, mixed it together, and smooshed them into little balls.


Yummy! Mylah will not be eating the chocolate variation. They are so rich and decadent, but it's like a healthy little truffle. Homemade with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment