Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's not only what you eat that matters...

The famous 1960's quote by Adelle Davis, "You are what you eat" has endured over time because it is so true: If you eat well, you feel well. If you eat crappy, you feel crappy. However, it's not only what you consume that matters, but how you consume it. This is what I love about the blood type diet: It takes into account that not all people are the same. Some people need to eat large meals less frequently; others need to eat small meals more frequently. Even if you don't know or care about your blood type, you certainly know your body well enough to know which category you fall under. Personally, if I don't eat every 2 hours, I feel so tired and grumpy.

When I'm losing weight, I need to eat a little bit all day long...I'm not talking about 6 small meals a day; I'm talking about 8-9 tiny meals. This makes it that I feel just satiated, but a little hungry 1 1/2 hours later. Along with this, I need to eat any animal protien in the morning, and eat vegan at night. This makes it so I am burning my fuel while I sleep and wake up hungry and ready for my protien-filled breakfast the next day.

A typical day on a weight loss journey for me looks like this:
6:30 am 1 hard boiled egg with garlic salt and a piece of toasted ezekial bread
8:00 am Nori with one leaf of chard layed on top of it, 1/8 c brown rice, wheat- free Tamari, 1/4 c raw tofu all rolled up like a burrito
10:00 am 1/2 c LF Plain yogurt with some blueberries
12:30 pm A salad of mixed greens, grated carrot, chopped celery, black- eyed peas, 1/4 avocado, and my special salad dressing (1T
dijon mustard mixed with 1 T honey or maple syrup)
2:30 pm Cinimon Raisin ezekiel bread with 1 T Almond butter
4:00 pm Tofu stir-fry with rice noodles (RECIPE IS BELOW)
6:30 pm 1 T Peanut Butter with 3/4 cup "Puffins" original flavor (they taste
like vanilla wafers and are so healthy)
7:30 pm 2 T dried cranberries and 1 T Pumpkin seeds

If it looks like a lot of work, it's because it is; however, it is so worth it. Eating this way keeps my hormones balanced all throughout the day, which makes my metabolism burn everything I eat, along with excess fat.

TOFU STIRFRY WITH RICE NOODLES and Miso Sauce
1 Package of Rice noodles, cooked be following the directions on the box
1 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, miinced
1 package of firm tofu, cubed
8 crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup of frozen broccoli
6 leaves of swiss chard or kale
1/2 cup of cilantro OR scallions, chopped
3 T miso paste
3 T Tamari
2 T Maple Syrup or Honey

In a large skillet, heat oil over medum heat. Add onion and cook for about 7 minutes, then add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the tofu and rais the heat to you can lightly brown it (about 5 minutes). Add the mushrooms, carrots, and frozen broccoli. Stir together until broccoli is defrosted. Add the chard or kale, then place the cooked noodles in the dish. Before mixing together, in a separate bowl mix the miso paste, tamari, and maple syrup together until the miso is dissolved. Then pour the mixture over the noodles and veggies, and mix together until everything is saturated (you may need to make more sauce depending on your taste buds).

Even my 10 month old baby loves this dish. Before having her, I would add some curry powder in when I sauteed the onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment