Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Party in Your Mouth

I think eating healthy can be way more delicious than eating unhealthy, and yesterday I out-did myself. With the fresh produce filling our fridge from the farmer's market, my creative wheels began turning, and the following is what I came up with.

BASIL-TOFU DIP
1/4 cup home made pesto
bunch of basil
2T fresh lemon juice
1-2T garlic powder
1-2t salt
1-2 T olive oil
Mix in a food processor---it's that simple.

I typically make this, and then separate it into 4 ziplock bags to keep in the freezer when I need them. This time, I needed it for dip, not pasta.

Add 2 boxes silken tofu, firm

Mix 1/4 cup of the pesto with the tofu in the food processor. Add more salt, garlic, and lemon as needed. Enjoy this with some healthy crackers, and you've got yourself a decadent appetizer.

LENTIL CAKES
1T olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 t oregeno
1/4 t sage
1 carrot, chopped
3 mushrooms, chopped
a bunch of spinach, chopped
any other veggies you want, chopped
2 cups cooked lentils
1/4 cup spelt flour (optional)

Heat the oil, add the onions. Once translucent, add oregeno and sage. Then add carrots, mushrooms, spinach, and other vegies. Remove from heat, and then add lentils and spelt flour. Keep in fridge until you're ready to eat, and then heat some oil and pan fry the lentil mixture. If you don't want to pan fry, just don't add the spelt flour. But I must admit, the extra step makes these so spectacular.

Mylah likes to eat them with avocado--messy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment