Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Think before you eat

Eckart Tolle has this wonderful suggestion in one of his books: Before you go for the carton of ice-cream in the freezer, take a few breaths. Even if you still choose to eat the whole carton of ice-cream, at least there were a few moments of consciousness between the impulse and the behavior.

I've taken this advice a few steps further, and whenever I notice that it's getting time to eat, I take a few breaths. By putting a few moments of consciousness between my hunger and my eating, my relationship with food becomes more nourishing and satisfying. Instead of scarfing down whatever is fast and tasty (i.e. processed), I feel a sense of calm when I make my decisiouns about food. Sometimes I discover that I'm not really hungry or that I'm actually thirsty or that I'm just a bit tired or grumpy or stretched to thin, etc. And sometimes, I notice that I really don't know what I want at all. That one often stumps me, so I walk away from the kitchen and regroup.

For those of you who don't live on the west coast, like myself, you may also be relishing in the beauty of the farmer's market (there not year-round here, Californians, so please don't take them for granted). Right now, when I open my fridge, I see an abundance of fresh, local produce that makes me giddy and overwhelemed with options. My current plan is to juice all of my carrots, cook up my green beans with some fresh dill (compliments of my neighbor's prolific garden), and perhaps make some zucchini bread with all of the various summer squash we have.

What a joy to be able to cook, nourish your body with the healthiest ingredients, and reap the benefits for years to come. It really is the best "health care plan" out there.

ZUCCHINI BREAD
this recipe makes 2 loaves

3 cups fresh zucchini, grated and placed in a colander to drain
1 cup raisins (optional)
3 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs, lightlt beaten
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare loaf pans by rubbing oil all the way aroundd and placing parchment paper at the bottom.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, poweder, and spices. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, maple syrup, and oil. Then gradually alternat adding the dry ingredients and the zucchini into the large bowl. Once everything is incoorporated, mix in the walnuts and rasins.

Pour batter into pans and cook on the middle rack for about 60 min. To check to see if they're done, put a long skewer in the center of the loaf and see if it comes out dry. If so, it's done, if it's still wet and gooey, put it back in and keep a close eye on it.

Let cool for 15 min before enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment