Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tofu, tofu, tofu

Tofu has gotten a bad reputation as of late, and I have to admit that it makes me a bit sad. It's true that if you buy soy products that are not organic, there is a 99% chance that it is genetically modified. It is also true that a lot of our soy products come from China, which has a whole set of concerns that come along with that. It is also true that tofu is processed; Edamame holds all of the fiber and nutrients from it's original state, and it is much more of a whole food. There's also a bunch of talk about the estrogen in soy, but "Whatever" is all I have to say about that. So, buy organic, buy American, and don't eat it for every meal.

I love tofu pan fried, raw, baked, and BBQ'd. I love it in burrotos, in asian food, and in casserole. But my favorite way to eat tofu is in a scramble.

About 14 years ago, when I wanted to make tofu scramble I would buy the seasoning packet from the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op, follow the instructions, and end up with something edible but certainly not delicious. Then in 2003, I came up with the BEST tofu scramble recipe ever. It ended up in my cook book, and it became my go-to dish when I served brunch for friends and family. Then, I grew tired of it, and I hadn't made it for years, unless my husband specifically requested it for his birthday breakfast(it's one of his favorites).

Last week, however, we came home from a long day out right around Mylah's dinner time. I knew I would be making vegie sushi rolls for Stephen and I, but I had to come up with something nutritious and delicious for Mylah to eat. Before I knew it, I was making tofu scramble. For those of you who have seen or cooked the recipe from my book, it can be daunting and take a long time when you're new at it. However, when you make it a few times, it can become like second nature.

This is REALLY delicious. Make it, and you will turn the tofu snobs into true believers...I promise.

TOFU SCRAMBLE (NEW AND IMPROVED RECIPE)
1 box of tofu, firm
2 T tamari or soy saouce
2 T tahini
2 T sesame seeds (I use Gosomai--yummy!)
1 T olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
salt
garlic
3-4 mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 zuccini, chopped
1 cup of spinach/chard/kale, chopped

Squeez out the excess liquid from the tofu over the sink. Then in a large bowl, crumble the tofu into small peices. Pur tamari over tofu and mix. Then add Tahini and sesame seeds (both are essential for the delicious flavor). Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oild and then add onions. Sprinkle with sea salt and cook until translucent, about 5 min. Then ad garlic, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are moist, about 5-7 min. Add zuccini and greens, mix in and then remove from heat.

Add the vegetable mixture to the tofu mixture. You can put this in the fridge for later, or cook up individual portions as you wish. To cook, heat 1 T of oil over med heat, when hot add the tofu scramble. Press down with a spatula, and then do not move for a few minutes. When the bottom is crisp, flip over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

I used to add egg and cheese to this, but it really doesn't need it. Mylah loves it, my husband says it taste's "naughty" (the ultimate compliment), and I can eat it raw just as it is.

I really hope you try this one because I know you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment