Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year...2011

Making a commitment or resolution for the New Year is common. It's a ritual. It's an empowered decision. It's typically centered on a healthy lifestyle. It's an important moment of conscious living, even if it is a bit clichéd (and only if it does happen once a year).

The concept of a commitment to health is one that I wish people would make on a daily basis, on an hourly basis, or even on a moment-to-moment basis. This is a wish I have for you, as it is a wish I have for me. Maybe this should be the resolution for the New Year: To live consciously and make healthful decisions throughout each moment of every day. Except when you don't, because sometimes you won't (to steal a wonderful phrase from Dr Sues' "Oh, the places you will go"). In which case, love yourself more in those moments than you ever knew possible...because that's what you're really craving. Right?

I write this now as I sit here feeling the aftermath of the Holidays. Since the gluttony has hit the fan, so to speak, I am ravenous. Hungry. All of the time. For everything. Even when I'm not hungry at all. Yuck (Love self. Love self. Love self.)

Anyways, some people are doing cleanses and detoxes. Some people have given up sugar or alcohol or carbs. I, however, have chosen to give up nothing. I am adding MORE abundance into my diet. Does that even make sense? Let's see: I'm adding in more balanced meals. More tea. More protein. More creative cooking. More sitting down and eating. More joy of food. More breathing when I'm anxious. More noticing when I'm restless. More rest when I'm tired. And more luxury...whenever I feel like it.

On that note, I'm going to share with my secret for something that I think is so luxurious, so indulgent, and SO MUCH FUN: Fondue.

This is what I do for Fondue three ways:
The protein:
We make a meat fondue with Ahi Tuna, Salmon, and/or chicken by making a lovely broth with stock, garlic, ginger, white wine, and lemon slices. Cut the meat up into cubes, and then dip it in one of the five creative dips that I love, or some of your own.

Miso Dip:
A glob of miso paste, grated fresh ginger, 1 T of Tamari, 1-2 T of Honey, and mix together.

Tahini Dip:
A glob of sesame tahini, grated fresh garlic, 1 T honey, sesame seeds (or Gosomai), lemon juice, and mix together.

Honey Mustard:
A glob of grainy German mustard and a glob of local, unrefined honey. Mix...yummy!

Wasabi mayo:
A glob of grapeseed veganaise and some wasabi powder. Mix together.

Tzatziki inspired delisciousness:
A glob of whole fat yogurt, lemon juice, fresh grated garlic, dried dill weed, and mix together.

And then we make CHEESE FONDUE!
A little olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, feta, ricotta, and spinach. Cook, and dip lightly steamed broccoli or cauliflower in it...or a rustic spelt round if your lucky enough to have one at your health food store.

And then we finish this luxuriant meal with CHOCOLATE fondue!
I put some vegan chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl with some soy milk. Microwave for about 30 sec. Stir and then see if you need to heat it up for another 20 sec. Do this until it is gorgeous and creamy. I dip candied ginger, Barbara's animal crackers, fruit, and nuts in this lovely mixture.

Yummy!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Giving things up which you can otherwise enjoy in moderation just embitters you and makes you want them more. Let's just all eat more greens, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Everyday is an opportunity to be your best self. Bob and I were just talking about your fondue. Yummmmm

    ReplyDelete