Saturday, January 8, 2011

Simply Seasonal

I was offered watermelon yesterday, and then today Mylah whined for grapes while shopping at Whole foods. Maybe you think I'm crazy for thinking that's crazy, but watermelon and grapes in the middle of January in Colorado are just WRONG on so many levels. Watermelon season is July. Grape season is autumn (not so bad), but these "whole foods" grapes were conventional from Chili.

This reminds me of when I was pregnant and had asked my husband to go by the store to get some fruit, and he came home with apples...it was June. June is the best fruit season of the year. You don't buy a fall fruit when the abundance of June is all around--berries, plums, apricots, peaches, etc are what I expected to see.

Why would this matter?

1.) Food grows best under certain environmental conditions, and your body burns those foods best under those SAME conditions. 2.) The food that's in season provides your body with minerals and nutrients that you need during that season. 4.) Seasonal food is cheaper because it's currently growing in abundance. 3.) Food that grows in Chili ought to be eaten be those people living in Chili...where it's "always summer."

Instead of giving Mylah grapes, I washed off a lovely red pear for her to nosh on (from Washington, but hey some concessions must be made).


The truth is, ever since leaving California I have found it increasingly difficult to eat seasonal, local food. Winter gardens are sparse here, and even Summer gardens leave a lot to be desired. Regardless, this is an issue that is close to my heart, and I hope to pass this way of eating onto my daughter...and my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment