Friday, May 27, 2011

Vegan Sushi

I love Sushi, but I do not love raw fish. I love the ritual of getting the perfect ratio of wasabi, ginger, and Tamari. I love the crunch of the raw veggies, and I love the seaweed. More than anything, I love that Sushi is something that you have to sit down and eat slowly, savoring every scrumptious bite.

I make Sushi at home a lot during the Spring and Summer, when cucumbers and avocados are ripe and plentiful.

When making my Sushi rolls, I start by rinsing 2 cups of sushi rice (brown rice is not sticky enough for good rolls). I soak my rice for 30 min, and then put it in my rice cooker. When it's done let it cool until room temperature (or at least 30 min).

While that's cooking, I slice tofu in long rectangles and cook them in a nonstick skillet (without any oil) over med heat. Cook the tofu for about 8 min, flipping it a few times. Then remove from heat and drizzle about 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce over it. Set that aside, and then slice carrots, cucumber, and avocado into long, thin pieces.

When my rice is cooked and cooled, I lay out my seaweed on my roller.


The trick is to put the rice in a thin layer; I spread and smoosh and the same time, leaving about an inch without rice on the part of the seaweed closest to me (where all of the filling is going to be placed.)


Then lengthwise on my seaweed/rice I put the prepared avocado, carrots, cucumber and tofu. Get the seaweed around the filling once really good, and then slide your hand over the roller to make sure it's rolled tightly, and then finish rolling the sushi. It's important that there isn't too much filling and rice inside.


Slice the Sushi in half, and then slice each half into three pieces, making 6 pieces from each roll. I make 2 T of wasabi, put out a bunch of pickled ginger, and use wheat-free tamari instead of soy sauce.

Fresh, healthy, and filling, with all 4 of the food groups present in each roll. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment