Saturday, September 17, 2011

A new twist on Beans and Rice

I went to the Farmer's Market this morning, and I came home with a big bundle of beets with beautiful greens and some chard (among many other veggies and fruits). As I looked in my fridge and pantry, this is the dish I created from what we had. It was amazing, and what I love about it is that you can make it with anything you have on hand.

2 Cups brown rice, rinsed, soaked for 30 min, and cooked in water

Beets, peel the skin, slice thin, and cook on stove-top w/some olive oil and salt until tender

Olive oil
Chard (about 8 leaves), chopped and washed
Beet greens, chopped and washed
2 cans of white beans, drained and washed
1/2 block of feta, cubed
1/2 cup sliced almonds
fresh tarragon and rosemary, shopped
garlic powder
salt to taste



Okay, so this is what I did: While the rice and the beets were cooking, I wilted my chard and beet greens with a little bit of water and olive oil. Once they began to wilt, I added the white beans, garlic powder, and salt.

When the rice was cooked, I added it to the bean mixture to cook for another 5 min or so. Then I added the feta, almonds, and herbs.

I served it in a bowl with the beans and rice on the bottom and the beets on top. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment